Help Us Answer Questions / Read Our Questions and Answers Section

We are trying our best to provide answers/tips/information and signposting to address a range of highlighted areas of concern/topics raised from your stories and experiences.  If you have experience of any of the areas below and can provide some important information or can suggest a solution, whether you are an unpaid carer/family or a professional please email us at or alternatively write to our postbox c/o 7 Maldon Road, Great Totham, Maldon, CM9  8PR marked WHERE IS THE CARE.  Thank you. 


1. NHS Continuing Healthcare- the facts.

2.  NHS Continuing Healthcare – claiming back payments.

3.  Experts by Experience – CQC

4.  Discounts for carer families

5.  Entitlements

6.  Self-employed groups of carers in Essex

7.  Reliable wheelchair accessible vehicles/adaptation companies

8.  Rapid Assessment Services in the community

9.  Reablement services in a care homes in Essex.

10. Experiences of reablement in your own home and in a dedicated residential unit?

11.  Complaints with Adult Social Care, ECC.  Has your case involved an Independent investigator?

12. Do you know anywhere you can bath or shower your elderly person if you can’t access this in their or your home?

13. Do you know any care home in the UK who has been prosecuted and served a custodial sentence regarding neglect or manslaughter by gross negligence or wilful neglect especially with pressure sores involved? Or where the prosecution has collapsed in such cases?

14.  Do you know a relative having been barred from visiting their relative in a care home or care establishment?

15.  Has it been suspected that your loved one or someone you know has been prescribed medication detrimental to their health or even may have contributed to their passing?

16.  What is your experience of continence services in your area?

17.  Had experience of dedicated carers’ drop-in centres at hospitals?



Q.   Daughter she has elderly mum with mental health issues.  Temporarily in a home, daughter wants her home to look after her. She is not being given clear information she feels form the the mental health team.
A.  The daughter would have to demonstrate that the home cannot adequately care for her mother’s needs and that she would be better off at home with her.   Social services will need to consider the daughter as a viable carer.  She can  apply for Power of Attorney straight away. If her mother is unable to give consent due to lacking capacity the mother’s GP could make a case for the daughter but it would have to go through the court of protection.  It may strengthen her case if she had an independent advocate.  More information needed to give specific reply.

Q.  What should I do if I feel that my loved one has been prescribed too high a dose or incorrect medication that has resulted in declining health or passing in care home?A. Request meeting with home.  They are obliged to do so. Be shown notes and receive explanations and determine facts. If they decline or you are not happy.  Lodge a complaint in writing, responses required with set timeframes.  Request explanations from GP and other professionals involved – mental health teams, psychiatrists?  Report to CQC, safeguarding at Council, Police, Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).  Investigate legal action.